Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Three honeybees...


just three were nectaring in my pear tree the other day. I was happy to see them, but disappointed to see so few. Apiaries are having a hard time not only with Varroa mites, but this new and devastating problem called CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder).

The subject of Mason bees came up during a conversation last week. I've seen them in the wildflowers. They are larger than honeybees, shiny, black and bustled. The pollen clings to their bustles and they are first class pollinators.

My garden was nothing to be proud of last year. I'm going to encourage Mason bees to come and pollinate the tomatoes and herbs I plan to put in soon by putting up houses for them. It's not a difficult project at all...

1 comment:

Todd said...

Here's wishing you much luck on a great garden which has been abundantly pollinated :-)