Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Let's go trippin'...

This is a little bit about adventuring and dreaming of the places I need to go before shuffle away at hopefully a ripe old age...camera and kayak paddle in hand. I'm going to do some serious thinking about this and here's the place to come back to as I fill it up.

Don't you know about Green Tortoise Tours? They're for young and older adventurers, and I'd so love to leave on one tomorrow. Sure isn't fancy for the most part. There won't be any babies and no young children, but I've heard the company is great, and you can veg out or get moving when you stop. http://www.greentortoise.com/adventure.travel.html

I want to see the Mediterranean, meaning the lands from whence the families sprung...Cuba, for the moment, is out of the question. Abruzzi, specifically Tocco da Causaria is the first stop. But if I'm in Italy, I want to go to Puglia, because I am so intrigued with a house called a "trulli". They look rather like white stone beehive ovens.

In Spain, it's Madrid. I have a cousin who is keeper of her father's genealogical studies back to the 1600s. The LaPiedras have a long and colorful history, with a couple of minor noblemen thrown into the mix. My grandmother abhorred the cruelty of the "Spaniards". I believe she felt they were uncivilized. She absolutely hated bullfighting, and often told me the flag was red and gold for blood and money, and I always thought, "poor bull". She idolized her father, so I don't know where that came from. He went to Cuba. Met his wife there. You've met them before a few posts down. As long as I can get into the Spanish and Italian countryside, I'll be happy as the proverbial clam.

2 comments:

Todd said...

I hope you enjoy traveling wherever you go.

wcgillian said...

May I suggest the wonderful country of Thailand as well! The island of Phuket will make you want to stay forever.

RJ