Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Why I call it "Sleepy Creek"


Took my Perception Swifty out today for a little while. Really wanted to check out the beavers and see if the log was across the creek. Usually, I put in across the street and then turn left to where the canal dead ends. Then I turn around and come out on Econfina. Left is Bear Creek, right is upcurrent on Econfina, where I'll take you today. I saw another Anhinga, the Red-shouldered hawk in the top of a snag nearby, several turtles, including a tiny baby red-ear (the pet shop turtles sold for a buck 50). You know, the ones that end up smelly and dead in your tank. This is where they belong! Up past the neighbors to where the beavers should be and then I ran out of space when I clicked off the last shot of where Econfina empties into Deerpoint Lake.

I floated home a piece of driftwood with a rope I found on that tree that had been lying across the creek. Ah, those brawny bass fishermen! I knew they couldn't let that log stay there.

When I got "Old Yella" back in the yard, I went back for the driftwood that I'd left lying on the bank. It's not heavy, and I put it down by the fence. The dogs came out and were being curious, and then I saw something move. A leech! (This one is Hirudo verbana in case you're interested.) I've never seen one before, and if you get past the memories of "The African Queen" in the leech scene, they are quite pretty, in their creepy little way. Pretty pattern. Yes, of course, I took a picture, and then I brought it over to the boy across the street who was fishing with a cousin. He told ME that he'd just been reading about them. He's about 6 now. Great kid. Smart. We released the leech into the canal. Then we went to look for some worms, because he was fishing with a plastic lizard and not getting action. Told him to beware of coral snakes when digging. His father is spooked by snakes, and the boy isn't allowed to swim in the creek because of the alligators. Good thinking. We found some kind of insect larva, and he brought it back to the dock.

Wish you were here, especially if you had a bruise for the leech to feed on! (I'm so bad!)



1 comment:

Todd said...

Cute leach? *grin* Another good post, May. Unfortunately, I have nothing "deep" (for lack of a better word) to say about it.