Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2008

Remember panorama Easter eggs?





I got one almost every Easter even after I realized there was no Easter bunny. They sold them in Loft's, a chain candy store in New York, and there was one in Port Richmond, the next town over,
where we did the special shopping. They were magic, pure and simple.

Last year I located the egg mold and instructions to make a pair for my grandchildren. My friend, Willa's daughter had a complete cake decorating set (went through the Wilton course), and the first egg was made in Willa's kitchen. It took almost a whole day, because one cracked. Essentially, you mix granulated sugar with a small bit of water so it holds together and aggressively pack it into a mold (you need two at a time). You let it rest, then you bake it until it has a hard shell. Then you scoop out the middles. You've made Royal Icing for cementing and the decorations, and it's ready, all dyed and pretty; the pastry bags are filled.

Very gently scoop the peephole halves and then the interiors of the egg halves, until ideally, the shell on each is about 1/8" thick. Here comes the fun part. You landscape one half of the egg, using Royal Icing to cement the pieces in - like flowers and bunnies and jellybean eggs - I got all my pieces at the craft store. Take the top, cement it to the bottom, cement the plastic window and then decorate it.

I got my molds from Sugarcraft along with the instruction books. http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candymolds/M-sugar/M-sugar.htm

It was such a fun project, I made two for my boss' twins. My grandchildren weren't going to visit for Easter, and I put them up in a safe (I thought) place. One fell; one cracked and fell apart by itself. They never even got to see them in person.

These eggs won't travel well, and they would've broken on the trip, even though I purposely made the walls quite thick for small hands.

I didn't make any this year. But I will next year but just before they come to visit.

It's so much fun. You should try it.

No comments: