Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2008

Here's some good stuff - the kind of things I'd much


rather write about.

Panama City has dug a storm water system that includes run off ponds (usually square or rectangular) which they hide in back of stores. They have taken the time to maintain lawns around them, but leave it to the stores and customers to fill them up with trash. I am always amazed at the murk of the water and the garbage that finds it way into these ponds.

One of my favorites is one of two hidden in back of the Outback Steakhouse and the Dollar Tree.
If you park conveniently out front, you miss it. Two days ago I needed a couple of things and drove the long way around just to check things out. I know this place is loaded with dragonflies and damsels and a Little Blue Heron who lives in the woods at the backside. There are also turtles who bob up from the surface when I approach, which is the opposite of the turtles on the creek. I think they are well fed by the lunchtimers who may eat here and feed them.

The Little Blue was standing in the water sniping food along the edge. They eat tadpoles, snails, fish, crustaceans. I noticed "he" was wearing his long nuptial feathers. As far as I know, he is alone.

I followed him around the pond where he disappeared into the woods and reappeared on a low hanging branch in the sun to preen. Below him was a large sheet of plywood with a little red ear turtle on it. The red ear slid into the water, but I left the bird in the sun. Looking into the edge of the water, I was happy to see small tadpoles bobbling around with small fry. I don't know what fish it is.

The dumpster is placed practically at the water - the trash from that overflows (including at least one shopping cart) into the water and plastics assault the eye as well as that piece of plywood. I have photos of Eastern Amberwings landing on a disposable diaper.

I was walking on the bank when I startled a snake resting either under a bush or in the culvert,
and it took off swimming for its life. It had dark brown or black and pink bands. I think I may have found it in one of my field guides. It's an immature. A young Banded Water Snake. The habitat is right on and the young ones are brighter in coloration. In the sun, it would look like the one I saw. Good swimmer, too.

More later.

1 comment:

Todd said...

I'm NOT surprised that people have somehow 'let' the trash make it's way into those ponds and run-offs. Glad there is still wildlife there though.