Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Finding small treasures...


Doesn't take much to make me happy. I've been seeking the elusive damselfly exuviae, or dragons and damsels emerging so I can catch the process and record it for years. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I did find my FIRST damselfly naiad's exuviae last night. What a treat!

The neighbors had a tree service come and clear the alders, oaks, gums and blueberries down at the water, and the trees over the house cut down. Made me shiver. But the stumps are there and they will grow. As I was walking back home, I noticed a very bright blue Bluet carrying another damsel underneath, and when they came to rest under a leaf, I was sure they would be mating. I was wrong - dinner was being served. The Bluet was holding the Powdered Dancer, which is a large damsel. As I watched and photographed them, the Bluet pierced the body just behind the head and dined on the soft brown, moist tissue underneath. I had seen this once before with a Rambur's Forktail devouring a Southern Sprite.

Here is the best photo. Bugs! I love them!

No comments: