Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

TODAY I RESCUED A DOG...

Ever notice that changing photo widget on the left sidebar which are adoptable dogs from the Bay County Florida Animal Control facility, not too far from me?

It is, unfortunately, a high kill shelter, but the staff and the director, Jim Crosby, love rescuers and rescue organizations. Anyway - I saw this little Boston face, and called about her because she is a tripod - somewhere in her past, she has lost a front leg. Well, that's ok. Someone would want a five year old with a disability - a perfect therapy dog, especially working with amputees. Maybe at the veterans home off Star Avenue.

I made them promise not to euthanize her, and I went today to see her. She's not five. Maybe 50 or 60 but certainly not five. Her owner is incarcerated. I guess he gave her to someone to care for, and they weren't treating her well, and she was confiscated. She had absolutely NO chance in heaven or hell. She has a growth on one hind leg that hangs and swings on a small attachment. That will come off. She is homely. She has a gray face. She is a little heavy because she must rest. Walking is tiresome. I suspect she has heartworm. Why not? She has old scars on the left flank. Big scars. There may be a bb in the middle of her face just above her eyes. An old wound. She's had skin problems - probably a severe flea allergy. I bathed her in medicated soap and she got the Adams spray treatment. But she's a tail wagger, and tonight she barked at a passing car on the street. She has rested on a clean sleeping bag all day. I think I'll call her Granny.

If you are reading this post and live in the Panama City, FL area, the Bay County Animal Control has some wonderful dogs available. My heart broke because there are two absolutely beautiful male purebred Boston terriers there. One looks like a big version of my Sophie. The other is smaller. They are in perfect condition.

There is what is listed as a male Lab mix. HE'S HAUNTING ME. His coat is lush, thick and wavy. He's black, which makes his chances of adoption slim. There's white on his chest. He bounced and bounced so high and hard, begging me to free him, that I think his exuberance could be channeled into frisbee or flyball - something athletic. He looks to me like more of an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix. Less like a Lab. He doesn't deserve to die. If you read the beginning of this blog, you will find an entry on black dogs. Black dogs are never adopted. The best dogs I've ever had were black. And one was a Border Collie. I have an Aussie, and she is faithful, smart and great to have around.

There are purebred Chihuahuas, a Dalmation, and a terrier with whiskers - maybe wire haired fox terrier and JRT cross or maybe some rat terrier thrown in. So cute. Still looks like a puppy. So hopeful. All of them are so hopeful.

If you have the time, please go see these beautiful dogs, who will, if not adopted, be euthanized and incinerated. They don't deserve this. If you know someone in rescue in Bay County, or even in Alabama - please tell them that this facility is rescue friendly.

The number of the BCAC is 850-767-3333. You can leave a message. You can save a life and you can enrich yours.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: