Search This Blog

Friday, March 16, 2012

HAVE I LIVED UNDER A GREAT MISCONCEPTION?

In a light vein today, I would like your opinion.

When I was growing up, my maternal grandmother lived with us. Though proud of her Cuban/Spanish ancestry, she would not allow me to learn or speak Spanish in our home because she was too proud to be American. She was born on Staten Island. I was white and I was American!

My father was Italian, a son of immigrants. He also did not speak Italian in the house because of the same reason. No accent for his kid.

So all the paperwork I've ever filled out...where it asks for race, I have filled in "Caucasian".

But...am I...Hispanic?

So, ok - there's a little Dutch and Welsh thrown in from my mean old grandfather, Decker. We don't acknowledge him very much. There's always a black sheep.

But still...I identify strongly with my Cuban/Spanish roots and also my Italian roots.

So what am I?

Tell me - because I don't know.

And IF I am "Hispanic", how do I backpeddle on the next "race" paperwork?

No comments: