Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

CLAUDIA'S 2-EGG CAKE RECIPE

The first cake I ever made by myself came from this recipe. It was my father's birthday cake. I made the icing too, and got a little (kid) crazy with the wonderful colors from the little box...every woman in the USA knows "that box", red and white, and those cute bottles with the colored caps.

So I made the icing "really" blue, and the rest of the beautiful decorations in primary colors, too.
I spread that icing so thickly that if I had put that cake away, it would have been hermetically sealed inside the icing.

But anyway, this cake in many forms - plain, as an upside down cake with pineapple, as a base for strawberry shortcake...on and on...was made for us every week. Mom wasn't much on icing, but then we didn't have boxed icing like we do now. Nevertheless, there was pie filling, and custards and all sorts of creative ideas. And it was always this cake.

So from her old handwritten recipe:

"I bought a box of Presto (cake flour) to get my old recipe for cake. Here it is:

Quick Mix Layer Cake

1/2 cup margarine
2-1/2 cups sifted Presto cake flour
1-1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tbs tbs milk
tsp vanilla

Grease two 9 in. layer cake pans, line bottoms with waxed paper. Stir margarine to soften, then Presto and sugar. Mix well. Add 3/4 cup milk until flour mixture is moist. Add eggs, 2 tbs milk and vanilla. Beat well. Pour into prepared pans and bake in 350 over for 30 to 35 min. If you want to marbleize cakes, keep aside 1/3 batter and mix with cocoa powder to taste.

And that's it.

I'm sure my mother would love you to try it.

No comments: