Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pittsburgh, PA welcomes the national guard for snow and domestic disputes, crowd control

http://www.prisonplanet.com/troops-randomly-patrol-streets-in-pittsburgh-respond-to-domestic-disputes.html

I have a comment on calling out the National Guard in snow conditions.

IT'S A BLIZZARD, AND YOU'RE GOING TO BE HIT AGAIN, HARD. And expect more as long as you stay there.

SUCK IT UP, GOVERNOR.

I'm a New Yorker. I lived through a lot of blizzards. I remember so much snow that when my father dug through from the back door to the garage, the piles on either side were far above our heads. I remember the dogs walking in the snow far above my head.

I remember a blizzard that hit north Los Angeles County - the Palmdale/Lancaster area. It dropped three feet in about 24 hours. It lasted for weeks because it was so cold. The kids were home from school. People got their chains out. We fed the bedraggled army of quail and went through 50 lbs of bird seed a day. The neighborhood ravens came to visit on my roof over the kitchen, led by Orville, the raven I raised to release. I fed them. The western bluebirds who were migrating were falling out of the sky, dead from the cold. The snow plows came out. We survived. IT WAS JUST A SNOWSTORM!

There was no hint of National Guardsmen - not a thought. I spoke to a friend in Maryland last night via email. The snow approaches the record by two inches. No one is in a panic.

My friends in the State of Montana are watching with an amused smile on their faces. My family in Vermont is smiling, too. But would they leave? NEVER. Are they cowering in their homes? NO! I'm looking at my little map (Mannassus, VA is very curious about me, I see), and thinking how unbelievably inept Pittsburgh and Washington, DC look to the world - like Alaska and Canada, Scandinavia, Germany. Even Nepal knows how to handle snow!

The government is shut down, but the switchboard operators are at work. The Senators and the Representatives are snug at home. Why?

Why are we panicked when a budgetary shutdown threatens governments - remember California - or when we are hit with a weather front that drops snow. Free skiing! Free sledding! Get out the horses and hitch them to a sled or a sleigh. You don't have to travel to Aspen or Vermont! It's a gift, don't you know. I loved that snowball fight in DC. Had I been living there, I would've been throwing snowballs, too.

Inconvenient to some? Dangerous to a few? Yes. So, plow the streets!

But gee whillickers, people - you are not invalids or children under four years old. You are grown ups, and if the National Guard showed up in a snow storm, I would be very offended, old as I am.
I'd rent a teenager for shoveling, but I'd be shoveling right along side him.

Kick your nanny state politicians out in the snow without their mittens and their longjohns, IF they have them. You're better than whining wimps, aren't you?

WAIT A MINUTE! It's not You, is it? It's only the politicians, telling you you are helpless, isn't it?

No comments: