Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Poaching and the Gorillas of Virunga

I subscribe to National Geographic's newsletter. This was included today.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/12/gorilla-massacre/massacre-video-interactive


I have read "Gorillas in the Mist", Diane Fossey's book which brought these mountain gorillas into public view. In this short clip, with its beautiful photography and sensitive narration, you will understand why they were so important. They had their niche in this world. Be forewarned. It is painful footage. The gorillas were murdered, essentially, for charcoal - an industry which is decimating forest - and when no forest is left, what will be left for anyone; any thing?

Like with oil, need must be tempered with common sense, so that conservationists, oil companies and native species coexist.

I had a macaque once, and not for very long. Her name was Mickey. In "Waltz on the Wild Side - an Animal Lover's Journal", I wrote of her. She was tied into a tree by a long chain. The people were moving, as I remember, and couldn't take her. So we bought her, altruistically thinking a primate - this monkey - would fit easily into our eclectic family of critters and be a companion for my son.

She was wild as the wind, and it became almost immediately apparent, that I did not have the knowledge or the facilities to cope with my little cousin. So I gave her to the friend who was second in line for her purchase. Mickey became vicious and had to be returned to her original owner, once again to be tied into her tree. A couple of weeks later, she had hung herself.

Perhaps, with Carol and I, she remembered being in a house, free of her chains, even for a little while. Perhaps not.

I realized, because I experienced it with Mickey...that primates belong in the forest or their natural habitat...not a prisoner of chains. We incarcerate people. We should not let our closest relatives be incarcerated, nor should we condone the destruction of their homes, or murder them for greed while destroying our homes, too.

God - can't we leave anything alone?

1 comment:

Todd said...

I honestly don't think we CAN just "leave things alone" :-(