Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

Do you remember sun showers?

When I was a little girl, they were magic! They fell from sunlit clouded skies, hit the pavement, and turned them to steam. Sometimes we got hail in the summers following a sun shower. Remember the odor of ozone? Remember walking through grass in the shower, sun shining on each drop and anvils meandering across the blue of the sky?

It happened today. I didn't know why the dogs didn't want to go out. I hadn't heard thunder.

I stepped out into the sunny day, the sand (I don't have lawn - I have oak leaves and sand - and it had barely dampened it. There were big spaces between the raindrops left behind. When I got to the gate, it was over.

Time for play, for shrieking, happy children. Alas, there were none. Just me, feeling like a kid again, full of wonder at this lovely moment I shared with the dogs, inhaling the ozone left behind and feeling the dampness on my feet.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Sun showers are pretty cool. Haven't seen them here for a while now, but that could just be me not paying attention. *smile*