THE BASIS OF PATRIOTISM
(This is not about the President or his Party or about Washington politics. It is about each of us and what we are responsible for causing. The President is our elected Leader and characterizing the following in terms of him and his actions is a legitimate current description of our Nation and where it is heading as I write. JB)
As the President goes to foreign lands from Egypt to Mexico and apologizes for American actions.
As the President tells foreigners that he took an oath to uphold the Constitution BUT he will work to infringe the American right to bear arms that is specifically guaranteed in that Constitution.
As the President tells the citizens of a foreign country that American guns are the reason for the carnage throughout that country.
As the President attends a Banquet/Breakfast with Planned Parenthood while the facts of abortion in America emerge and the public is repulsed by the revelations in the Gosnell abortion trial in Philadelphia.
As the President publicly proclaims that he would not want his daughters “punished with a baby”, thereby lauding abortion while rejecting the first Right mentioned in the core of The Declaration of Independence that: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life”.
As the President refuses to enforce federal immigration laws or the legitimate Defense of Marriage Act simply because he disagrees with them.
As the President refuses to call Moslem Terror, that kills and maims Americans and Christians both nationally and internationally, what it is while allowing a known American Moslem mass-murderer to languish in federal custody without trial for more than three years as hearings are held about his beard before his trial for “workplace violence” even begins.
As the President repeatedly sets rich against poor to raise taxes and white against black as he second guesses white police actions and refuses to prosecute gross racial voter intimidation by black thugs.
As the President forces religious charities, hospitals, and other religious entities to pay for employees’ contraceptives and abortifacients in total violation of their Church- employers’ religious teachings and moral beliefs.
As the President has continued forcibly increasing the range and numbers of deadly, dangerous and destructive wolves and grizzly bears to the great harm and detriment of rural Americans and their communities in more than ten states.
As the President has provided misleading answers to the American public’s inquiries and ignored any attempts at legitimate oversight regarding federal government actions from protecting American patriots in Libya to distributing thousands of guns to Mexican criminals.
As all of the above have happened and are happening, I suggest we consider the actual results of these actions on American Society. It is absolutely fair to say that:
- Apologizing to foreigners on their soil for reputed American transgressions causes many Americans to dislike America, the American government, and other Americans they imagine did bad things.
- Telling foreigners that the American Constitution can be changed simply by an activist President’s desires enforces the myth that former Presidents must have been bad men and encourages radical Americans to more deeply dislike opponents that point to the Constitution as to why they (the radicals) cannot have their way.
- Telling foreigners that American guns are the reason for their murder rates causes American gun owners to distrust and dislike their government while encouraging gun control advocates to further resent gun owners and their Constitutional claims to a Right specifically described in The Bill of Rights.
- Government participation in a Planned Parenthood soiree simply enflames the passions of Pro-Life Americans and encourages Pro-Abortion Americans to push for more government and medical authority to kill children outside the womb as well as sick, disabled and elderly Americans. The results are even deeper dislike between even greater numbers of Americans.
- A governmental position statement that a baby is a punishment establishes and enflames disgust among many Americans with any government that would take such a position as well as with any fellow citizens that support such values reminiscent of the repugnant policies of the vanquished dictatorships of the last century.
- Failure to honestly and forthrightly oppose Moslem Terrorist Activities is causing great angst against government and Moslems as non-Moslem Americans fear for themselves, their children and grandchildren in an increasingly dangerous world.
- Setting rich against poor and white against black simply deepens distrust and negative feelings between all of these groups (the vast majority of the population).
- Forcing Churches, Ministers, Priests, Religious Employers and Religious citizens to support and pay for heinous actions like abortion and contraception, and forbidden actions like same-sex marriage and propagandizing children not only makes a mockery of “religious freedom”; it deepens resentments and hard feelings between advocates of these things and religious Americans concerned about their children and the values they will be forcibly exposed to.
- Forcible imposition of wolves and grizzly bears over the vociferous objections of rural Americans forced thereby to live in fear for their families in a world with less economic development and employment opportunities has caused deep resentments against government and environmentalists responsible for the destruction of their communities and ways of life.
- Government cover-ups and claims of transparency in the muddy waters of government activities leads to both widespread dislike of government and distrust of all the imagined bogeymen and fellow citizens we believe benefit from the disinformation and what it is hiding.
How to sum up all the foregoing? I submit that we are not just “more divided”, we actually like each other less and less. When we like each other (and our government) less and less; how can we love our country as much as before? The answer is: we can’t.
If it is fair to say the Patriotism equates with Love of Country, and I believe it is, then Patriotism is in decline as Love of Country declines.
If you wonder why I have written this; it is because I came across a quotation this morning that sent a chill down my back.
In one of his many great books, Orthodoxy, G. K. Chesterton wrote:
“Men did not love Rome because she was great.
She was great because they had loved her.”
We are becoming more like Rome than any of us can imagine or admit.
5 May 2013
If you found this worthwhile, please share it with others. Thanks.
Jim Beers is a retired US Fish & Wildlife Service Wildlife Biologist, Special Agent, Refuge Manager, Wetlands Biologist, and Congressional Fellow. He was stationed in North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, New York City, and Washington DC. He also served as a US Navy Line Officer in the western Pacific and on Adak, Alaska in the Aleutian Islands. He has worked for the Utah Fish & Game, Minneapolis Police Department, and as a Security Supervisor in Washington, DC. He testified three times before Congress; twice regarding the theft by the US Fish & Wildlife Service of $45 to 60 Million from State fish and wildlife funds and once in opposition to expanding Federal Invasive Species authority. He resides in Eagan, Minnesota with his wife of many decades.
Jim Beers is available to speak or for consulting. You can receive future articles by sending a request with your e-mail address to: email@example.com