Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

MY LIFE AS A TURKEY - A MOST WONDERFUL STORY FROM PBS/NATURE!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/my-life-as-a-turkey/full-episode/7378/

You see, I really love turkeys. My late friend, Mary, had a white tom turkey who took a shine to me when I took care of her goat herd, milking and feeding them.

When turkeys were being raised across the fence out in Antelope Acres, in Los Angeles County, I'd be feeding my chickens or Samantha and Flopsy, and go "talk" to them.

But wild turkeys - those resplendent bronze beauties are breathtaking in flight, especially when you're surprised by an entire flock flying four inches over the hood of your car. And me, without a camera.

I know how it feels to have a young chick to raise and mother, and teach it what it's real mother would - I did that for my Orville, a very special raven, back in California. From the early spring warmth to a December snowstorm, cold and deep - he left home in that storm and brought the wild flock to eat on the roof over the kitchen. Nine spectacular months of joy and learning and living with a wild raven. Probably the most favorite part of my life. It was tough to leave him (and the family he brought to see me, strung out on the telephone wires - mate and the children).

Last night I was lucky to catch a bit of this from the beginning - I'm going to watch this on the computer tonight. I think you will LOVE it.

No comments: