Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

USING X-RAYS TO SELL SHOES IN THE 1940S - READ THIS AND THINK ABOUT THE AIRPORT SCANS

http://nottotallyrad.blogspot.com/2008/02/using-x-rays-to-sell-shoes.html

My mother used to take me to Lobel's children's store on Richmond Avenue, the main shopping drag, to buy shoes, and this very instrument was used on my feet. My mother had really bad feet.
They were twisted and distorted, had severe bunions, hurt her from morning to night, and she attributed it to the shoes she had to wear as a child - too small, used, and made to wear them by an abusive father.

So she was taking to chances with my feet. Thanks, Mom.

I LOVED this machine. It was a thrill to see my bones, wiggle my toes, just like the article says.

What I didn't know then as a child (and neither did my mother), was that technology is often dangerous, and frequent x-rays cause cancer.

Ask a radiologist.

Ask a biomed technician who cares for the radiation equipment in a hospital.

This article, while I enjoyed it, recalling many trips to look at my wiggly toes while waiting for the salesman (you could push the button yourself), has creeped me out.




No comments: