Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PET OWNERS: A SURVEY AND AN ARTICLE YOU MAY WANT TO READ ABOUT VETERINARY EXPENSES...FROM THE IRREVERENT VET.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/the-irreverent-vet-speaks-on-owners-that-want-to-give-their-own-shots/page1.aspx

I give my own shots (Jeffers.com), heartworm prevention (no heartworms, folks - ever), and worm for specific worms. For rabies, we attend vaccination clinics, though in some states places like Jeffers will sell to you.

I buy my flea prevention from Full Spectrum Distributors. They are fresh, new in the box, right from the company.

Veterinarians in this area are charging outrageous prices in a dying economy. This results in lack of or improper care, no care, animal suffering, euthanasia, and finally relinquishing the beloved pet out of desperation to one of our animal controls or shelters.

The attitude is: Pay or leave the practice. We don't really care. This happens more often than I thought. I'm hearing it from pet owners all over our county.

A vet I used for nearly 20 years sold his practice. When I was given a small amount of a readily available drug for three times the cost of the price in a pharmacy by prescription, I asked for a prescription which was followed by an absolutely horrendous, insensitive, unappreciative letter by the new owner, a young man with a skewed business sense. I do not use that practice anymore.





No comments: