Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/78528

Did you know that clotheslines are becoming endangered?

Yep! Clotheslines are prohibited in several states and the problem seems to be esthetics.
Well, I grew up before clothes dryers. I don't like them. So I held out and in Oregon one day, we were sitting around in the living room enjoying the warmth because it was raining, and I was drying a few items hung high around the woodstove. And then I scorched a pair of pants.
So we got a dryer.

I don't have one here in semi-rural Florida. I use a clothesline. There are so many trees, no one sees my line anyway. But it is a fond childhood memory of my mother in her apron going out with the basket to hang our clothes on the line. She used to get a milk delivery, a bakery delivery and bleach called Javell in a bottle, delivered the same way - to the back step. I loved the way the sun and bleach made the clothes smell. I loved watching flap on the line in the breeze.

City folks get so uptight. Anyone ever heard of property rights in the USA? And now that everything is "green", let our clean clothes flap in the sun. What's the problem?

"Florida, Utah, Maine, Vermont, Colorado, and Hawaii have passed laws restricting the rights of local authorities to stop residents using clotheslines. Another five states are considering similar measures, said Lee, 35, a former lawyer who quit to run the non-profit group."

The above excerpt is from one of my groups.


No comments: