Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

FINGERS

  An ancient philosopher once wrote: “The tale of men is written by a finger of wind upon moving waters”. 

 Food for thought. And I know that most of us have heard our mothers say it was not polite to point a finger at other folks. There times however when a pointed finger becomes a tool of enlightenment.  

 The astute and discerning citizen cannot help but recognize the fingers of the Democratic party’s dirty tricks in the Cox-Rehberg contest. I know my opinion on this will anger more than a few Libertarian thinkers who were compelled by conscience to vote as they did. But they did, in point of fact, vote away any chance of control in the U.S. Senate. The logic of the numbers is inescapable. Mr. Rehberg admittedly has a few political warts, but he would have been the ‘gate keeper’, halting Obama’s rampant surge to totally control the Senate and thereby the U.S. Supreme court, stacking the deck so to speak, removing the last few safeguards of the Republic.  

   History recalls that Judas, in his remorse, hanged himself. I suspect that was a bit extreme and has probably gone out of style, so, Mr. Cox and his loyal followers must needs cower in dark corners and content themselves with gnawing on their fingers and find what solace they can in counting their thirty pieces of silver.  Privately, I cannot help but wonder what Mr. Cox was offered by his handlers, the shady backroom folks, to induce a man of decent enough stature, to pursue a course he could not help but understand was un-winnable and held such catastrophic consequences. The number of votes cast in his name tell their own story, point their own finger needing little further help from me. 

Folks who know me are aware I hold a deep and abiding pride in my home state and faith in its people. That faith has been shaken and it will be a long time before I can look on my neighbors in that same way again. Knowing that Montana cast the votes that will likely lead to the eventual demise of the Republic is not an easy thing to deal with. However, I can look myself in the mirror and know I did the right thing and owe apologies to no one.  There are other faces in other mirrors who will know they cannot do the same, and see the pointed fingers of guilt for the rest of their lives. 

Rest in peace Montana.

H/T to DDL

 

No comments: