Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2012

YESTERDAY I GOT A BIG SURPRISE!


In March of 2008 I took a picture of a cold dragonfly in my hand. She was a slender baskettail. Beautiful wing markings. I love taking photos of them and of course, butterflies. Always a challenge. You can't just tell them to "Stand still!"

I'm on a list of southern odonata lovers and I asked for an ID. Giff Beaton is a naturalist, an airline pilot, takes people on WINGS birding tours, and writer of field guides was "envious" because he'd never seen one.

Dennis Paulson from Slater Museum of Natural History, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, said they are difficult to find and he might want to put it in his
newest field guide. The one he had was posed (chilled, photographed and released). This one was just cold, hanging
outside on the siding near the back door. Actually, I thought a spider had gotten to it. I took her picture and put her in the morning sun to warm up.

I got another email asking for the photo. I sent him four different ones.

Then he asked me to let him use one and to give my approval and after I said "yes", I forgot about it.

Today I got a package. It's this HUMUNGOUS, 538 page field guide, "Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East" (eastern US and Canada) by Dennis, a complimentary copy. I forgot what I had given him! I just found the name and need to go look. I hate to crack the cover! But
there she is, page 389, clinging to my finger, unposed.

Anyway, that's my little surprise. I will to treasure this. I didn't know he'd finished it or if he really did use my photo.

And people wonder why I'm out there in the heat, in muck or in fields, on the water and always with a camera? You just NEVER know what you can find.

Thanks, Dennis!

May

http://sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-dragonflies-generosity-and-marketing.html


No comments: