Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

HURRICANE IRENE WASN'T ALL THAT...FROM CATO INSTITUTE

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/irene-wasnt-all-that/#utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Cato-at-liberty+%28Cato+at+Liberty%29

And in case YOUR neighbor's tree fell into your yard and caused damage and you happen to live in New Jersey, let my friend tell you what happens next because of Irene:


Hey folks... file this one away for future reference... My neighbor's trees (3 biggies... 75 ft. at least 2-3 ft. diam trunks) fell on my property in the hurricane... stumps are still on his land, 90% of trees on my property... spoke to his and my insurance companies.. both said the same thing... I'm responsible for removal, and damage to my property, etc. Tree owner's responsibility ENDS AT HIS PROPERTY LINE. Sure surprised me. This is because our insurance laws are based on English Common Law, which in this case is stupid, in my opinion... something about "a man's home is his castle, responsibility of which ends at his property line". If a homeowner has a big old tree... in poor condition... etc.. and it falls and crushes your house and car... you're responsible, not him... he has zero responsibility for anything beyond his property line. What kind of dopey people would think that is a fair and just law? Anyway, I'm gonna try to tactfully convince my neighbor to split the cost for removal.. probably will be a few thousand $$$. If he won't, I'll do it cheapest way possible.. I'll have my tree guy chop them in big pieces (up to my property line), and just dump all the pieces on his property... no removal, no wood chipping, no nuthin'. I'll just give him back his tree.


No comments: