Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

Conservation efforts and rescue of Spanish Goats

http://www.grit.com/Animals/Goat-Rescue-Conserves-Spanish-Goats.aspx?utm_content=GRT+eNEWS+06.11.10&utm_campaign

The picture is beautiful, and I love goats. I am also looking for a couple of Nubian does or Nubian/Alpine crosses (does only, please). My empty corral and little barn is sadly overgrown and lonely, and I miss making cheese.

I leash train my goats so we can walk together. When I lived in the desert, I walked with my donkey, my goat off-leash and my German Shepherd taking up the rear, also off-leash and a raven on my head, my shoulder, sitting on the donkey or flying along with us. We covered many a dusty mile. It was wonderful. I am so fortunate to have the memories I have.

Incidentally, I have begun the story of a raven I raised. The title has always been (it's been in my head for decades), "The Little Boy in a Birdsuit - the Story of Orville, the Raven". I decided to write it for my grandkids, who do not understand yet what a wildlife rehabilitator is. But they will. Leave it to Grandma.

If I can keep my wits about me, with this oil spill and our political climate, I'll finish it. It's a nine month segment of my life that was full of surprises, laughter, love and wonderment that a "bird" could be that smart and funny.

And if you want to learn about ravens, crows and related corvids, join ASCAR, the American Society for Crows and Ravens. There's a website and a free and remarkable newsletter that appears sporadically, to which you can contribute.


No comments: