Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

COLLEGE GRADS CAN'T FIND WORK - FEDS FLOOD JOB MARKET WITH FOREIGNERS

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusablog/grantblog/june-4-2010/college-grads-cant-find-work-while-feds-continue-flood-job-market-for?jid=546245&lid=9&rid=3641&tid=525997

Nearly 300 students graduated from Rutherford High School in Bay County, FL last night. I went to see my "nephew" (his grandmother is my best friend) graduate. He will go to Gulf Coast Community College in the fall. He wants to major in computer gaming.

I would rather see him go to a trade school and learn plumbing or electrical wiring.

These students will vie with the other graduating classes, and all of them will put endless applications in for summer jobs, and there won't be any. Maybe there'll be a need for them to get involved with oil clean up later on.

It was depressing. The speeches of hopes and dreams, of excelling and doing their best were sweet with youthful enthusiasm, but in reality, there is little hope for for them. Not in Obamaland.

If they stay, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, and the Golden Corral will be saturated by reams of applications. If they move away, I pray it will be a place where relatives can keep an eye on them and keep them grounded. And maybe they will find a job, and maybe they won't.
Because college students can't find them.

We don't have any jobs anymore. They've gone to China, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.
Good jobs don't exist in Obamaland.

The night I graduated in 1961, I already had a job as a stenographer at the Bell Telephone Laboratories headquarters in Manhattan. It paid $65 a week with stock option and a 35 hour week. Got an hour for lunch. And when it was time for me to leave home, I could live at the Evangeline House, a Salvation Army women's residence with a pool and a meal, on a safe street in the West Village for $14.00 a week, save some and have a lot of that left over. I could walk to work.

The New York Times was heavy with job ads. Full. Page after page of jobs that could support you or your family.

A few years later, in another job working as an old co-worker's assistant in a start up company, I was laid off (let's just say I embarrassed my boss and he couldn't handle the put down) and I gave myself a week to find a job so I could take a two week vacation in Trinidad. By the end of the week, my new boss at CBS Corporate (he was a VP) was begging me not to go. Could I forego the trip? No, I couldn't. I had reservations for the ritzy Trinidad Hilton. Beautiful place. This was my first solo trip to a foreign country.

The job was waiting; my boss couldn't do enough for me, or I for him, and we made a good team.
The pay was excellent, the benefits were top drawer. I was living in the West Village in a rent controlled three-room apartment on beautiful Barrow Street, on the 4th floor, with a sunny living room and a brick wall. On Saturday mornings it was glorious to walk the dog through Washington Square Park. The students at the music school a couple of doors up would be tuning up for their lessons.

Open your paper. Can you pick and choose a job? Can you get an apartment and be self-supporting and save money and have a closet full of clothes and travel today?

No.

Do entry level positions pay a living wage? I doubt that, either.

These kids are going to be so disillusioned.

I hate what's in store for my "nephew", and worse is what I fear for my grandchildren in Obamaland. That fear chills me to the bone.

We need to end the maquilladoras in Mexico. We need to stop illegals from entering this country, and for the sake of the country, stop outsourcing our jobs. We need to turn into ourselves and open our manufacturing plants again. Cheap isn't necessarily good; and because every day we understand more of what the corrupt politicians are doing to our resources and our work force, we need to be self supporting again, so these children who graduated from Rutherford last night have a chance in life, to be successful, to excel. And if they are wise, they will take my grandchildren by the hand and lead them into the future in the America we are fighting to take back, where hopes and dreams are vibrant and alive, and sweet freedom rings.




No comments: