Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Throw out your Teflon pots and pans...

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/health/stories/nonstick-chemical-linked-to-thyroid-disease-in-humans

If they burn, you will kill any birds in residence.
If they scratch, the coating stays in your body forever.

I've had a set of wonderful stainless steel I've had since 1962. I still use them every day.
The whole set was...$45! And I have cast iron and those incredible La Creuset pieces (I am running a rescue for unwanted, cast off La Creusets - did you know that?) And I won't use aluminum.

You don't need coated cookware. Why take a chance.

1 comment:

Ross4Teflon said...

Hi -- Because there's so much misinformation out there about Teflon, I'm not surprised that you are concerned. I'm a representative of DuPont though, and hope you'll let me share some information with you and your readers, so that everyone can make truly informed decisions.

The recent Exeter study tried to determine whether there is a potential relationship between PFOA and thyroid changes. The study’s authors state that the observed association is a correlation, which may or may not be causal. This is inconsistent with other studies, including studies of workers who have had much higher levels of PFOA exposure than the general public. These workers have not shown any changes that would indicate impact on the thyroid. The weight of evidence gathered from a number of significant health studies continues to indicate to us that there is no health risk to the general public from exposure to PFOA. Please take a look at http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA2/en_US/pfoa_thyroid.html for more info. http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/teflonissafe and www.pfoa.dupont.com can provide you with additional information, as well.