Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2009

Do you remember your dreams?

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/sleep-amnesia-why-do-we-forget-our-dreams.html

I've been having a recurring one that's most interesting and a little scary, but I enjoy it anyway. I remember a lot of it, but not all.

It involves bears. I am in a very green world. There are a thousand shades of green from leaves and grasses. The intensity of this emerald world is hard to describe. It is a veritable Eden.

Through it runs a river. It runs quickly but there are no rapids. It isn't wide or too deep. I could walk across it, but I don't. I stay on the path or maybe there isn't any. I think I walk on the bank. There are huge trees everywhere. They look like oaks.

And there are bears. Big brown ones. They laze on the banks, they play with their cubs. They feed and drink from the river. I know if I appear to threaten them, I will be in danger. If I walk long enough, I will come to a beautiful fountain on Staten Island of all places, where I grew up. Near a library and in St. George, where I can see Manhattan. It's near the ferry, on a hill, with an ageless old wrought iron fence around it. I am always puzzled that the hike comes to this place, but the fountain is beautiful. I am so taken by the design, but I can't "see" it except that it is round and has several tiers.

I think I visit the library at dark, when it begins to rain. I see rain-blurred lights on the cars and the reflections of the lights running with the rain in the street.

Somewhere in this dream there is a hay farmer with a huge hay operation. I know him well and I know the adult children and their wives and their kids. The farmer has given up and retired, and I am worried about the farm and if it will be sold for development. This part of the dream is all tan. The stone of the huge farmhouse and buildings have been shaped of sandstone. The hayfields are tan stubble. The hay is stacked in the bar. The dirt road is tan.

Strangers - tourists maybe - ask me for directions to the best fishing holes or how to get to the fountain. I tell them about the bears and to be careful. They pop up anywhere. From behind trees. They seem to appear out of nowhere from the forest beyond. They don't believe me and start their hike. Many of them come back and I say, "I told you so - you wouldn't believe me."
And they laugh nervously. Some don't return.

I don't know the purpose of the farmer or the color tan. I don't know the significance of the majestic bears or the beautiful scenery along the river.

But I remember most of this dream. Care to interpret this for me?


No comments: