Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2009

A troubling incident with a young Marine

Somehow in a local shop, a young Marine became quite livid when the conversation turned to the Constitution and his oath.

I think he was working part-time, and was probably assigned to the local Navy base.

I asked him if he was given the order to fire on American citizens, would he. He said if that was an order, he would follow that order. (Do I hear jackboots?)

I asked him if it was an illegal order, would he refuse.

He said no. He would fire on American citizens. He was adamant.

I asked him if he read and studied the Constitution. He said he read the document. We discussed the 4th Amendment. It didn't matter. He was resolved. He would fire on Americans if he were ordered to.

This isn't the first time I've heard this. The first was nearly 20 years ago when a young airman stationed at Tyndall AFB and working a second job in town was asked about the Marine survey results that revealed that most Marines would fire on American citizens if the order was given.

I asked if he would come to a meeting of Bay Patriots, but he refused. I guess he thought it was a political group, but it is not. It is an educational group that formed to broaden the base of citizens who know what the Constitution is, and how we use and defend it as American citizens.

At that time, it was very chilling.

It had the same chill factor yesterday.

I am not from a military family. I was told it you follow orders or get shot.

But I have a problem with this.

Do you?

No comments: