Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I am an Italian American by Angelo Bianchi

Read this, Pelosi...When did you become the Assistant Constitution Shredder in Chief?

I am an Italian American. My roots are deep in ancient soil. Drenched by the Mediterranean sun and watered by pure steams from snow capped mountains. I am enriched by thousands of years of culture. My hands are those of the mason, artist, the man of soil. my thoughts have been recorded in the annals of Rome, the poetry of Virgil, the creations of Dante, and the philosophy of Benedetto Croce.

I am an Italian American, and from my ancient world I first spanned the seas to the New World, I am Christoforo Columbo. I am GiovanniCaboto known in American history as John Cabot, discoverer of the mainland of North America. I am Amerigo Vespucci, who gave my name to the new world, America. First to sail on the great lakes in 1679, founder of the territory that became the State of Illinois. Colonizer of Louisiana and Arkansa, I am Enrico Tonti. I am Filippo Mazzei, friend of Thomas Jefferson, and my thesis on equality of man was written into the bill of rights. I am William Paca, signer of the Declaration of Independence and yes an Italian American.

I am an Italian American. I financed the Northwest expedition of George Rogers Clark and accompanied him through the lands that would become Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan, I am Colonel Francesco Virgo. I mapped the Pacific from Mexico to Alaska and to the Philippines, am Alessandro Malaspina. I am Giacomo Beltrami, the discoverer of the Mississippi river in 1823. I created the dome of the United States capitol. They called me the Michelangelo of America, I am Constantino Brumidi. In 1904, I founded in San Francisco, the Bank of Italy now known as the Bank of America, the largest financial institution in the world. I am A.P. Gianni. I am Enrico Fermi, father of nuclear science in America. First enlisted man to win the medal of honor in World War II, I am John Basilone of New Jersey.

I am an Italian American. I am the million strong who served in America's armies and the tens of thousands whose names are enshrined in military cemeteries from Guadalcanal to the Rhine. I am the steel maker in Pittsburgh, the grower in the Imperial Valley of California, the textile designer in Manhattan, the movie maker in Hollywood, the home maker and the breadwinner in 10,000 communities.

I am an American without stint of reservation, loving this land as only one who understands history, its agonies and its triumphs, and can love and serve as that of any other American. I will stand in support of this nation’s freedom and promise against all foes. My heritage has dedicated me to this nation. I am proud of my FULL heritage and I shall remain worthy of it.

No comments: