Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

BOOK BAN IN MONTANA? - WRITERS/READERS EVERYWHERE TAKE NOTE.

http://sweetgrassroots.org/montana-supreme-court/

No book should ever be banned. We write, we read. We choose.

Just like a tv program, you can choose not to read a book.

I remember when I was a teenager, I could not wait to read "Lady Chatterley's Lover"; a book to read while baking in the sand of the Jersey shore. I would be swept away by the steamy scenes. My mother, a very straight-laced, proper woman raised an eyebrow, made a face, and let me read it.

You know what?

It was just a book. I wanted to read that book because it had been banned...somewhere.

It did not turn me in to a sex-crazed nymphomaniac. It did not turn me into a prostitute. I read it and forgot it. What I do remember is that...

it was no big deal.

I did not forget, however, the series of Louis Crisler's books on wolves, which reside on my bookshelves to this day.

Neither did I forget "Lonesome Dove". In the opening scene, I can smell the desert dust, hear the jingling of spurs, the smell of horse sweat, the perspiration of men who hadn't the opportunity to bathe in a while, hear the creak of saddle leather.

If a book is considered "perverted" enough to be banned, who judges? Lenny Bruce, a thinker, political observer and a comic, wrote that in order to be considered perverted, speech or the written word has to be judged by the most perverted mind that can be found.

Makes sense.

No comments: