QUOTE OF THE DAY: "TSA has yet to catch a single terrorist. We don’t need obscene screening methods at airports, and we certainly don’t need them on our highways or bus stops." - Washington Times editorial
The TSA's "VIPR" program is a growing bureaucratic monster that will bring groping and body scans to train stations, highways, sporting events and concerts, as well as shopping malls near you.
This is just the latest instance of the Federal State's poisoning of American rights and freedoms.
The hardwired message begins:
Please abolish the TSA, and permit airlines to provide their own security plans.
I added these additional comments. You may borrow or copy them...
Obviously, I also strongly object to the TSA's growing VIPR (Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response) program that conducts searches in places like weigh stations and bus terminals.
As illustrated in Tennessee this week, VIPR deploys TSA agents and works with local law enforcement to stop and search people who are doing NOTHING suspicious. (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/10/like-tsa-youll-love-vipr/247221/)
This so-called "Transportation Security Administration" has even...
* been present at the Super Bowl (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/surveillance/2009-01-29-supersecurity_N.htm)
* and had been asked to conduct searches of students going to the prom (http://www.koat.com/r/27984342/detail.html)
What has either event to do with "transportation?"
Moreover, as John Whitehead reported in July (http://www.rutherford.org/articles_db/commentary.asp?record_id=718)...
* In a training exercise in Atlanta, VIPR teams allegedly arrested a man after discovering a small amount of marijuana in his semi-trailer
* In San Diego, a VIPR investigation at a trolley station resulted in the deportation of three teenagers apprehended on their way to school
This tells me the TSA's purpose is NOT to protect us from terrorism, but to be deployed as a national police force to enforce federal laws.
And it is a force that has no respect for the Fourth Amendment. As Whitehead also notes, VIPR units engaged in thorough inspections of EVERY private and commercial vehicle entering and exiting the port the Brownsville, Texas port, even though there was no specific threat.
None of this has ANYTHING to do with protecting the American people from terrorism. Instead, the TSA and its VIPR program seem designed to break the will of the American people, so that...
* They become accustomed to seeing uniformed federal agents as a permanent presence in their daily lives
* And become habituated to surrendering their privacy and dignity to uniformed agents who search them without cause
Meanwhile, the government employee unions grow with each new TSA hire, and contractors get richer by equipping them. This makes no sense, because...
* The terror "threat" is nearly non-existent, as shown by the small number of plots over the years
* The infinite number of potential targets means TSA is powerless to stop the next attack
* The TSA only has the power to harass and humiliate the innocent and waste taxpayer dollars
The TSA is perhaps the most prominent symbol of the loss of liberty and privacy in America today. Please pass legislation to abolish it!
Policy Research Director
D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h
SUPPORT the "Educate the Powerful System".
Feel Free to Forward or Reprint, as long as attribution and action links are retained/included. But we recommend you delete everything in this footer, i.e., below the words "Downsizer-Dispatch".
Your subscription comes to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have difficulties or inquiries, simply hit reply to this message. We're eager to help, including with requests to unsubscribe.
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters (to unsubscribe), click here.
Sponsored by DownsizeDC.org, Inc. – a non-profit educational organization promoting the ideas of individual liberty, personal responsibility, free markets, and small government. Operations office: 1931 15th St. Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223, 202.521.1200. Normally published 3-6 times per week. The Downsize DC Team would like to thank you for subscribing to the Downsizer-Dispatch, which you did by going to http://www.downsizedc.org/newsletter or by using our "Educate the Powerful System" to send a message.