Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

HONEYBEES AND THE PESTICIDE CLOTHIANIDIN - HAS THE EPA BEEN KEEPING THE EFFECTS ON HONEYBEES A SECRET?

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&search=search#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=clothianidin&cp=12&qe=Y2xvdGhpYW5pZGlu&qesig=MIEcnXWHC5vZLKyERoZBkQ&pkc=AFgZ2tn5w7-jp-TeV8p1HhB8UmBrQc1mHmboLni4zbO9EEPnbmOVvK9ZtCr1Fhj7aHQRKz7wOGpIenVukn57D2rZcfKvC1b-WQ&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=clothianidin&pbx=1&fp=41d9d04263c928a1

TIME TO START ASKING A LOT OF QUESTIONS!

There is a petition from the CREDO folks to urge the EPA to "come clean".

This is a great concern for me. This is what I wrote to friends today:

This is an email I got this morning. I wouldn't normally send this to you but there were almost NO honeybees seen in this yard or on my walks all year, and there were very few butterflies. So few of each, no flower wasps at all, and not even carpenter bees. All my flowers were devoid of life, and along the roadside the county mowed so viciously that none were available to migrating butterflies, either. In the evening, when the porch light at the back door is on, in other years the house wall was covered in moths and other night flying insects. I am in and out all the time at night with the dogs. There were not enough moths (and I'm always checking with my camera) to count on my two hands.

In the past, I have stood in wild morning glories that grew on the fence and watched year after year at 10:30 a.m., the swarm of common sulfur butterflies come from the north of the circle to nectar in them - so many one morning that I could hear the sound of their wings clapping closed - something I will never forget. Standing knee deep in Bidens alba with so many wasps, bees and butterflies that my camera got warm in my hands from the shutter working. I have the pictures to prove this. But not last year.

The combination of pesticide and mowing , if this is so, is deadly and these are the pollinators who provide us with sustenance - our food. So I'm sending you this hoping you will sign this petition. Maybe it will help, maybe not.


Dear Friend,

Since 2006, U.S. honey bee populations have been in precipitous decline,
with some estimates suggesting losses as high as 30% per year. While
that's terrible, the problem is far greater than just the loss of a
species. Without bees, our food supply is in serious danger. Pollination
by honey bees is key in cultivating the crops that produce a full
one-third of our food.

A recently leaked memo suggests the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
has ignored the science linking the pesticide clothianidin to the bee
die-off.

Sign the petition to E.P.A. Administrator Lisa Jackson today demanding an
immediate ban and full scientific review of this pesticide:

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/bees/?r_by=15142-568005-IiPO0zx&rc=mailto1


No comments: