Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

WOULDN'T IT BE WONDERFUL IF YOU LOVED YOUR JOB AS MUCH AS THIS BORDER COLLIE LOVES HERS?




I had a Border Collie once - a stunning, blue-eyed blue merle I named Jake. Found him walking down the highway - no collar, no ID, just footsore and weary, and full of fleas.

He was by far the most beautiful dog I had ever seen.

Jake's intelligence was uncanny, and he was all mine. He loved peppermints and I always had peppermints for his rewards.

He rescued a tiny baby blue jay once - stood guard over it until I came down the path. He guarded the gate, guarded the house and guarded me, his person. His intuition was mind blowing.

He would have worked stock easily. Epilepsy took him much too soon. I doubt that he was four. It came on suddenly on my birthday in May and in late June, he went into statis and had to be euthanized.

He was a dog never to be forgotten. His stories were published in an excellent publication, now out of print - "The Shepherd's Dogge".

I saw this and it really brought back wonderful memories.

I miss my Jake.




No comments: